Thursday, August 05, 2004

I should've gone to college here

Today we took a coach to Cambridge and got a guided tour of the city. It's what you'd expect - that olde style university look that the Ivy Leagues can only try to emulate. But we learned a good deal about the education system in Britian, and I liked what I heard. First off, when students turn 16, they begin focusing their studies on 3 or 4 subjects of their choosing. Then, in college, they don't mess around with any subjects other than what they are studying. For me, that would mean journalism classes and only journalism classes for four years, which I would relish. I would graduate so much more prepared than I am going to from Temple.

Schooling is cheaper over here, too. The universities are subsudized by the government, which means tuition runs only 1000 pounds a year. Add in fees and housing (everyone lives in dorms, unlike Temple where no one does), and it's only about 6000 pounds per year, and that's for Cambridge or Oxford, the top two schools. That's only for EU citizens though, so I would end up paying through the nose. Pretty much like Temple, I suppose.

Waking up at 4:30 tomorrow morning to catch the early Eurostar to Paris. I'll be out of touch, but rest assured I'll be living it up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home